Sunday, December 20, 2009

Feeling Old and Slow

It was a tough run this morning. I was looking forward to it, too. It's not too cold, and the snow started just nicely. It's the kind of day that's fun to run through.

I'd also found some shoes yesterday, too, and they were feeling very good this morning. I actually found the same shoe as last time, not realizing it until just now, because they are blue trim instead of the yellow of the last pair. I expected the shin splints, and they came back, not too bad in the beginning. I crossed Centre Street bridge, and was surprised how soon my first rest period came.

I welcomed the walk break, but felt the wicked tightness in the shins. By the second break that hurt lots. I got to the Louise Bridge, and of course with the ice jam that's been on the river for a couple of weeks, the path is under water. So I took the C-Train bridge across to the north side of the river.

At the end of the bridge, I turned briefly to the west, but things hurt. So I turned east to head home. I did start to loosen up a tiny bit, so by the time I got to the ramp up to the foot bridge, I felt I could continue. The plan developed to continue at least to Edmonton Trail, then cross south again and back track to Prince's Island and head home.

After crossing under Centre Street, I thought a little about continuing to maybe Bridgeland Station and crossing north there, running through Bridgeland and up the hill there to head back home. That might have given me a dozen kilometres, at least. But things were no better by the time I reach Edmonton Trail, so I stuck to the original plan.

Interestingly, every interval seemed to be slower and slower. My pace was dismal. It seemed to take forever to get to Prince's Island, and crossing that, to climb The Path Under The Stairs. I stuck it out to my usual finish, but it felt like it took all morning.

Today's run:
Distance: 8.45 Time: 58:51
Average speed: 6:57 min/km. (9.36 kph)
Rest distance: 0..50 km. Rest time: 6:00.
Total distance: 8.95 km. Total time: 1:04:51.

Shoes: New Balance 769 (blue).
Today's earworm: Permanent L n K.

Weather: Light snow at -9C.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOW! That sounds like a tough run! You are determined and I need that feeling! It's been quite awhile since I ran and the weather and sidewalk conditions have not been that favourable to get back into it! Good for you, though!