Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Getting Back Into the Swing

I felt a lot better out there today. The cramping didn't recur, thank goodness, but I still felt a little stiff in the calves, and legs in general. I still felt heavy, too, and it seemed like my feet were slapping the pavement pretty hard.

The Path Under The Stairs is a little dicey but if I stay on the south side of the path, in the shadow of the ridge of snow piled up from plowing, I'm on packed snow all the way down, and up when I come back. After that, it's pretty clear.

I took the ramp from the foot bridge down to the path along Memorial Drive. It felt like I was doing better this time too. I felt faster, and when I glanced at the GPS when I reached the walk like at 7th Street, the time was about where it usually is when I get to that point.

At 10th Street, the underpass is still under water and a lot of ice. I imagine they'll have to replace the guard rails again in the spring, as the metre and a half of ice will likely bend the existing one pretty bad before it melts away. There is also construction that's been going on since the spring.

The parking lot by the Parks office is still fenced off and full of odd piles of materials and equipment. They've routed the path along the curb beside Memorial Drive, until just past the parking lot it dodges away from the street toward the existing trail.

All reasonably clear, a little packed snow. I climbed up onto the Metawa Bridge at 14th Street as usuual. There was a little bit of a breeze from the west, but by then I was warmed up and not noticing it.

On the other side, it was quiet, and I met the few runners that I'd already met on the other side. At the Metawa Bridge, I crossed quickly when there was a lull in the traffic. The crosswalks aren't in the right place: I'd have to cross 4th Avenue, then 9th Street (which the bridge connects to on the south side of the river) then back across 4th Avenue again. There's no crosswalk on the north side of 4th.

Running down between the Metawa Bridge and the C-Train bridge to go under it, I looked over my shoulder at the mass of ice that had piled up in the underpass. A runner was picking his way through the jagged mess to the other side. I had no confidence that there were no thin spots. It had to be a metre over the lowest point of the path down there.

The rest of the run was no big deal. I still felt heavy but the leg cramps were mostly a memory. The run up The Path was the usual huff and puff, and the steepest part seemed to be unusually demanding. But it seemed to take no time to get to the top.

From there, it was the usual six hundred metres or so to my finish line, a short block to walk, and then some serious stretching on my front step.

Today's run:
Distance: 7.06 Time: 43:10
Average speed: 6:07 min/km. (9.81 kph)

Shoes: New Balance 769 (Blue).
Today's earworm: Sad L n K with happy notes.

Weather: Sunny and -9C .

No comments: