Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Luverly Lunch Run

Holy cow, what crazy weather! It was cool and damp this morning, but by noon, the sun was out. At least that's what I saw just as I went to change for a run. Then stepping out the door, it was snowing lightly. By the time I'd gone a block, visibility was down to a kilometre in heavy snow. And yet the sun was still shining. Very weird.

Anyway, down to the bluff, and down The Path. By the time I was half way down, the snow had stopped. As it is said, if you don't like the weather in Calgary, wait five minutes.

I was up for something different today. So at the point on the foot bridge where I could have turned right to take the ramp down to the path beside Memorial Drive, I went left, down the stairs to the same path, but going east.

Nothing much to say about it. There were a few runners, but after I crossed under the lower level of the Centre Street bridge, they petered out. It was nice though. It's been well over a year since I've gone that way.

I crossed the river at the Langevin Bridge, the old iron one that takes Edmonton Trail into downtown, and at the far end found lots of change. 4th Street no longer exists of the end of the bridge, but you can turn hard left onto an newly extended Riverfront Avenue.

Going west from the bridge, new sidewalk followed Riverfront, but the path is gone for two blocks or so. All dug up, and I hope they replace it. About half way down is a short detour path that goes back to that path on the edge of the river bank.

Under the Centre Street Bridge again, and along the promenade (esplanade?). At this point, I began to wonder how far this route would take me. I wanted at least 7 km, but I was thinking it would be too short if I headed homeward right at Prince's Island.

And it was way too short. I was just over 5 km, and the way back home would barely add a kilometre and a half. I briefly thought of running to the far end of the island and coming back through it, but that still wouldn't have been long enough.

So I continued to the C-Train bridge near the Metawa bridge to 10th Street. Back along the berm beside Memorial Drive, up the ramp and across to the curling club, and up a couple of flights of The Stairs to The Path.

At this point I was close to 7 km, and that was fine. I continued up to the top of the bluff, and along it to the top of The Stairs. From there I headed straight north instead of continuing to 4th Street. And in a few minutes I was home.

Distance: 7.91 Time: 46:00
Average speed: 5:49 min/km. (10.32 kph)

Shoes: New Balance 769.
Today's earworm: Rockin' L n K.

Weather: Cloudy and 4C.

No comments: