Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Little Run

I was working from home today, so got out for a lunch time run. It was a little chilly, but not so bad. It would have been un-noticed except the darn GPS took it's time syncing up to satellites. I stood at the intersection where I usually start to run, staring at it on my wrist, resisting the temptation to wave it at the sky, in case that would help it find it's way.

About two minutes maybe, and it was locked in. But I'd noticed the breeze by then. It didn't make any difference, since by the time I reached Cresent Road, I was more or less warmed up.

It was pretty grey out. It had been raining first thing this morning, and then there had been a brief explosion of sunlight about mid-morning. I could see the far reaches of the city from the bluff, but the mountains were lost in the grey.

Down The Path and then along Memorial Drive. Reasonably busy with runners and walkers, but not crowded. I ran to 14th and crossed the river there, then back along Bow Trail. Quiet. Steady. It was a little more crowded on the promenade after I passed under the bridge at 9th street (10th Street at the other end, angling a little in its crossing.)

I think I've run that route enough that I sometimes get into a kind of mindless state, not really noticing where I'm going. Running on auto.

At The Stairs I ran to the first landing and on to The Path. I'd started out feeling breathless and heavy, but climbing those stairs seemed to wake me up a little, and I climbed The Path a little aggressively.

At the top, I pushed rather hard, actually. My breathing gets away on me on The Path, especially after the steepest part, and I usually slow along the top to let my breathing slow a little. Today, I just kept pushing. I was keeping a rather slow cadence to my stride but stretching each step quite a bit.

Once I turned off the path along the bluff and onto 4th Street, I was really loping along. And then I was done.

Distance: 6.89 Time: 39:32
Average speed: 5:44 min/km. (10.46 kph)

Shoes: New Balance 769.
Today's earworm: L n K.

Weather: Cloudy and 4C.

No comments: