Sunday, October 25, 2009

Love My Sunday Run

Got another bright clear crisp morning to run in. The mountains are all white in their winter shrouds, but oh, so sharp and clear on the horizon. Another sign that summer has passed - no forest fire smoke.

I broke onto Cresent Road and headed sunward. I had a feeling that it wasn't going to be a fast run, and I was more than good with that. A wonderful L n K note to everything, such a clear a beautiful day. I ran along the street, crossing over to the shale path as the guard rail turns into posts at the top of The Stairs.

At the top of The Path I headed instead down Nony's Awful Little Hill towards Centre Street. The Bow is looming large now. The thing is huge and it going to completely dominate the skyline in a few short months. It takes up a substantial part of the view ahead when running down the bridge.

At the far end, I took the little ramp down to the promenade and headed past the Tai Chi practitioners by Sein Lok Park. you know, I think esplanade might be a more accurate term, but promenade sounds right. I was running a little later than usual, and I think I missed most of the group runs, but there were still lots of people out.

It was pretty run of the mill, running wise, all the way to Crowchild. And there, I crossed to the north side of the river. Last week there were lots of icy spots along the trail below Spruce Cliff, and I thought that after the snowfall we had yesterday morning, it might be much worse. The season is pretty much over for that trail.

I thought maybe the running trails might have a few icy spots as well, but they were totally clear. And there was more traffic along the Parkdale Boulevard stretch. Busy. Steady.

Near the Edworthy bridge, a group was forming for a dog walk. I passed them just as they started out, and looped around Angel's Cafe. After a quick stop at the public washroom, I very quickly caught up to the dog walkers again.

The rest of the run was uneventful. Legs felt good, breathing was good. I was in a nice groove. I managed to hit The Path Under The Stairs just as a walk break started, so avoided running the steepest part. Powered up the rest.

The run along the bluff was lovely, still a crystal clear view of the western horizon. And then I was across Cresent Road and heading home.

Distance: 16.35 Time: 1:36:20
Average speed: 5:53 min/km. (10.18 kph)
Rest distance: .95 km. Rest time: 10:00.
Total distance: 17.30 km. Total time: 1:46:15.

Shoes: New Balance 769.
Today's earworm: Rhythm and Blues L n K.

Weather: Sunny and -3C.

No comments: