Friday, December 26, 2008

Boxing Day Calorie Burn

An attempt to deal with the calorie surplus. It's warmer today, though still quite cold. But not much wind, and I had to get out. I think I been out three times in as many weeks. Meanwhile the Christmas goodies are too accessible to this weak-willed guy.

Stepping out, I felt the chill. Wondering if I was going to be warm enough, even though I knew I would be. The Path had a few clear patches, though mostly there was a thin layer of packed snow. Not real slippery, but still, it slowed me down.

I took the trail along Memorial Drive. Past the sort-of-island opposite Prince's Island, where the trees thin, the river was steaming east, looking very turbulent because it was probably no more than knee deep at the most. The river bed is rocky, so low water is very turbulent and noisy.

After 14th Street, it seemed more settled. Not many out in the late morning, although the sun was blazing in clear blue. A light breeze from the west kept me from warming up too fast.

After crossing at Crowchild, I found myself surrounded by frosty trees. Steam from the river is carried by the wind into the bush along the south bank, and the trees are covered with a thin white layer.

After that, just sun and snow, and me huffing along. A few people out on Prince's Island, but perhaps still a little too cold in the day for most. Or maybe everyone is still digesting and sleeping off the day before.

A hard push up The Stairs, and a short stretch of walking at the top to catch my breath a little, the rest of the run was done.

Distance: 9.77 Time: 55:31
Average speed: 5:41 min/km (10.56 kph).

Shoes: Asics GT-2130.
Today's earworm: Why Can't He Be You, Patsy Cline.

Weather: Sunny and -17C.

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

The Goodies take priority over the Running this time of year! Good thing Christmas comes just once a year!

I have run that area by the river and think it is quite pretty with the frosty trees!