Thursday, May 07, 2009

Back to the Schedule

I'm working from home today, and the plan is usually to get a noon hour run. Today I was tempted by other considerations L n K but in the end I was out on my route at noon sharp.

Some time during the morning, it had started to rain, and part of the morning it was more or less a downpour. By noon, it had backed off to a drizzle. I went for shorts and a long sleeve tee with my running vest. About ten minutes into the run I was wishing I had thought to grab my running gloves, too.

Because of the rain, it was a little splishy-splashy in places. Just before the C-Train bridge, I got a bit of a soaking courtesy of a passing car. Because the path is about three feet above the roadway, it was only my legs that got wet.

On the 14th Street bridge, it was a different story. The two foot high wall between the traffic and the pedestrian path ensures that if any water is splashed by passing traffic, the trajectory needed to clear the wall is approximately chest high by the time any water following it reaches any people walking across. The nice thing about the fabrics used for running close is that they don't hold the water, so it wasn't bad.

By the time I reached the helicopter pad, about three quarters of the way around the loop, my hands were finally warming up. There were more people out than I expected given the weather, though still it was pretty quiet out there.

I took the stairs fairly aggressively, and they didn't slow me down much. Perhaps the week off was the break I needed to be able to do that. At the top, I took to the street, since the trail at the top of the bluff was a little soggy.

Nice run, wet, cold... A good run.

Distance: 6.94 Time: 35:56
Average speed: 5:10 min/km (11.59 kph).

Shoes: New Balance 769.
Today's earworm: On An Evening In Roma, Dean Martin.

Weather: light rain and 4C.

1 comment:

Revrunner said...

Yeah, I went out this afternoon to run, too, but just managed to get it in between downpours. But, hey! Who's complaining? We officially made up today for the drought we've been experiencing these past several months.