Sunday, April 19, 2009

One Week to the Police Half

For some reason, I was thinking last night that it was time to back off on training, cuz I have a race next weekend. Thinking I just need to do a 10K in the morning. But really, a half marathon isn't much more than what I usually do on a Sunday morning L n K, so what would slacking really do? Feeling sheepishly lazy, I decided to continue with my usual run to Edworthy and back.

I wore just shorts and a tee, and it did feel a little crisp. Not uncomfortably so, and by 15 minutes I didn't notice. In fact the temperature was pretty much perfect for running.

I knew it was going to be another fast run, since the first interval was already fast. I suppose running the down-slope of Nony's Awful Little Hill and the Centre Street bridge helped with that.

Already on the promenade there were a lot of people out. Runners and walkers, and near Chinatown, tai chi and different kinds of meditative activities.

Not too much happened on this run. No races to get in the middle of or anything like that. Mostly just hunkered down and ran. I had a fast start and a fast time, rounding Angel's just before 50 minutes, at least five minutes faster than average.

On the way back, again nothing much other than pushing hard. Near the soccer field at 19th Street and Memorial, I spent a walk break trying to release a little tightness in the hip, but while running it never bothered me at all. It may have been one of those transient aches that seem to get worked out as I continue running.

At The Stairs, I took The Path and pushed hard all the way up. That felt really good, and actually I had a good fast run up the last half of the hill. The really steep part in the bottom half slows me down no matter what, even walking.

Just at the top of The Path Under The Stairs, was my last walk break. Nice to walk along the top of the bluff and take in the view. That left about 600m to the end of the run, and I took it a little slower.

Distance: 16.53 Time: 1:24:23
Average speed: 5:06 min/km. (11.64 kph)
Rest distance: .904 km. Rest time: 9:00.
Total distance: 17.43 km. Total time: 1:33:23.

Shoes: New Balance 769.
Today's earworm: Blue Moon by Tommy Emmanuel.

Weather: mostly cloudy, 4C to start and finishing at 9C.

No comments: