Sunday, April 26, 2009

The 2009 Calgary Police Half-Marathon

Considering how I felt yesterday, this was a pretty good run. I woke up the day before feeling a little scratchy in the throat, and after meeting friend for breakfast, seemed to be flirting with stomach flu or something. Later in the day, and into the evening, I was better, and suggestions on the L n K of hot water with lemon helped lots too.

This morning, I felt much better. I got suited up, opting for an extra tee between the technical shirt and windbreaker. It was a relief to discover no wind or snow as had been promised in the forecast. It was a little brisk, but actually a beautiful morning.

I drove to Mount Royal College, parked and walked into the building. Given my penchant for usually being ridiculously early, there weren't too many around yet. Lots of police of course, and the technicians were setting up the mats at the starting line, where the sensors pick up the timing chips.

I ran into the WaveRunner and chatted briefly before hunting down the bathrooms. Then went outside to jog up and down the parking lot, stretch the calves and generally try and warm up. It was staying nice, so I decided to strip off the second tee.

Finally the crowd started to gather in the starting chute. I had no idea where to be, so opted for somewhere in the middle. A noisy, chatty crowd drowned out the PA system, but I could make out the last few seconds of a countdown. At zero, there was a great whooping, and then we stood around for a few minutes, while the crowd in front filed out of the chute. It was about three minutes before I finally stepped across the starting mats.

After that, not much to tell. A long run down 50th, then over toward the water treatment plant. That was the first narrowing of the trail. Crossing the dam seemed especially narrow. It was a little wider for a ways, until crossing Glenmore, then in the forest behind Rockyview Hospital it was narrow again.

Coming out beside the hospital, I had some momentary disorientation, not recognizing the construction. I thought for a moment it was all the new stuff that had been built at the entrance to Heritage Park, but that was at least a kilometre and a half ahead of us. This was all new building on to the hospital.

The run through Eagle Ridge was quiet, although a couple of kids had carboard signs and an old stereo going in one driveway. Then the new entrance to Heritage Park, and we were on the trail along the reservoir again. Lots of people cheering here.

We went straight on to 90th Avenue, then right. I had never notice that 90th is a long, long slowly climbing hill. Someone cheering on the sidelines said we were about to reach a nice flat stretch, and I kept waiting to get to it.

At South Glenmore Park we turned in and through the parking lot, and straight through the adjacent playground. The path goes directly through and at each side is one of those narrow jogs in the chain link fence that you have to zigzag through. I think it's to keep cyclists from shortcutting through there, but we ended up almost stopping at both, having to walk through single file.

And then the flat part. All along the south side of the reservoir. It's a long stretch, but didn't seem to take long at all. In no time we were at the long hill that descends down to Weaselhead Flats. There's a little twisting and turning and a lot of the path is sheltered. I was expecting some icy patches, but there was only one bad spot, attended to by a couple of EMS personnel.

Around the last corner and onto the flat part of the Flats, we were surrounded by pussy willow. I began to notice the odd hat or glove on the path, having been lost by a runner up ahead.

The next challenge is the long hill that climbs up from the Flats. Before that a narrow run across the bridge crossing the Elbow river. I hit the hill with lots of energy. I was surprised at how easily I was climbing. I had lots of leg, and didn't slow down much at all. At the top, another crowd cheering, plus the Police Pipe and Drum band performing.

A quick zip through another parking lot, and onto 66th Avenue, and what seemed like the longest stretch of the whole run. It was only about a kilometre and a half, but it seemed to take forever. Finally turned the corner toward Glenmore Trail again, a short buzz through another neighbourhood.

It was after I crossed Glenmore again, the I was pretty sure I wasn't going to beat my PR. Still, I wanted the best finish I could make, so it was head down and push hard. The rest of the race was a blur.

I crossed the finish line only three minutes off my PR, accepted my medal and a bottle of water, and proceeded to have a tremendous coughing fit, probably from breathing in that good old dry prairie air.

I had a great run. Achy and sore, and stiffening quickly, I found the post run snacks and called it a day.

Distance: 20.13 Time: 1:44:15
Average speed: 5:10 min/km. (11.64 kph)
Rest distance: 1.36 km. Rest time: 11:00.
Total distance: 21.49 km. Total time: 1:55:15.

Shoes: New Balance 769.
Today's earworm: It was L n K all the way.

Weather: mostly cloudy, -2C to start and finishing at 1C.


Hard run, and a good run, but no PR out of this one.

2 comments:

Alexandra said...

May not be a PR but still a great run considering you were a little under the weather!

It was nice chatting with you!

Congratulations on a job well done!

Keith said...

Great description of the race course, and nice run!